Thursday, March 29, 2012

CMW: Kate Todd

Hey everyone!

My article featuring Kate Todd is now up on Faze Magazine's website! You can read it here:

Here is an additional Q&A from the interview :)

When did you come together with your band?
KT: My band and I have been playing since January. Aside from that, I just played solo acoustic shows and been on my own a lot of the time. I’m still a solo artist, but it’s just band members who are friends of mine that are my core group of guys that I ask when I’m going to be performing for a full band show.
How would you describe your music?
KT: I think it’s important to say that my earliest interactions with music were listening to the great singer-songwriters like Bob Dylan, Neil Young and Joni Mitchell. They were very prominent on my home turntables when I was growing up and I think that a lot of that roots-y vibe has really remained with me. And whether or not it shows through my music, they’ve certainly been a huge influence and inspiration with me and I’m drawn to that roots-y, alternative, country, rock-inspired sound and that’s what I hope to bring out in the music that I’m currently doing right now.
When did you start getting into music?
KT: For as long as I can remember, music has always been so prominent in my life at a very early age. I studied conservatory piano and I performed at church recitals and I played French horn in high school. And it was when I landed the role of Shady Lane on a TV show called Radio Free Roscoe that I picked up the guitar and have been a student of the guitar ever since. I’m studying it at university right now.

You can also be seen on The LA Complex, can you tell me about that experience?
KT: That’s certainly an interesting project to be a part of, just because I’ve witnessed a lot and maybe experienced a lot of the same things they deal with on that show when I was an apprentice actor. A lot of it too is because I’m working with a lot of people on that show that I’ve known for a really long time in the industry. It just shows how small of a community it is and how supportive everyone is of each another. Whether or not it’s with the actors I’ve worked with or been the executives that who have known me since I was really young, it’s just really cool to go on set because you’ve literally known these people for a large portion of your career and your life. So it’s an amazing experience and a really cool vibe.
You've been in the Canadian entertainment industry for a while now - have you noticed any significant changes?
KT: When I was doing TV shows in the past, there wasn’t Twitter and I don’t think there was Facebook either. So to have to do status updates and everything else, it was a bit of a learning experience in the beginning. But yeah I try to keep it real and say what I’m doing as far as my musical gigs and TV shows, so that was the biggest learning experience for me, to try to maintain your realness and authenticity online, so that’s been a balance for me.

We also joked that our interview set-up looked very similar to Zack Galifianakis' show "Between Two Ferns" - see video below if you don't know what I'm talking about haha


She even performed as an opening act for Jake and Amir at a recent show at the Isabel Bader Theatre (If you don't know who those guys are, I highly recommend checking out their videos on CollegeHumor...they are hilarious).

Anyways, be sure to check out her Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kate-Todd/34333395495) and follow her on Twitter (@KateTodd)

- Christina
Follow my adventures on Twitter: @christinaaa28

No comments:

Post a Comment