Saturday, June 28, 2014

NXNE Part 2: Danny Brown, St. Vincent & More


Here are some other highlights from my whirlwind NXNE week of festivities:


YONGE-DUNDAS SQUARE

 Danny Brown, June 19
He put on a seriously dope show after finally getting across the border



 St. Vincent, June 20
Funny story about the St. Vincent show......I was with my (tall) friends in the crowd amongst SO many people and I a) still managed to take those photos above, which is QUITE the struggle when you have to find a gap between people's necks and arm pits [I wasn't that close, I had my zoom lens] and b) a drum stick came out of nowhere and fell from the sky, hitting me directly in the face. Aka, I got a battle wound. Worst of all, I don't even know if the drum stick came from the stage, but I didn't even get to keep it. Some girls behind me fought over it. Bitches, I'm the one who got hit in the face with it.......

Anyways, I was blown away by St. Vincent's show that I didn't even care anymore. She has some mad skillz on guitar and KILLED it in corn rows.

NXNE Interactive

In addition to the many, many shows throughout the city, there were also interactive panels/interview sessions with some of the most influential people in the industry. I checked out a keynote with Drake co-manager and OVO founder/creative director Oliver El-Khatib. Gavin Sheppard, of The Remix Project, moderated the in-depth interview, which gave us insight into the development of such a successful brand and the importance of a strong and talented team.


DAKOTA TAVERN

I swung by the Dakota Tavern on June 19 and checked out a fun set by Montreal-based band How Sad


TATTOO ROCK PARLOUR

I had an awesome time at a Red Bull Sound Select show in NYC so I was excited to check out one in Toronto for this festival. The lineup for the night was:
Beca
allie
Young Magic
Autre Ne Veut
& a secret show by Sleigh Bells



Until next year, NXNE 2015!

- Christina
Follow my adventures on Twitter: @christinaaa28

No comments:

Post a Comment