Saturday, September 20, 2014

EVENT | Building Your Professional Brand with LinkedIn & Whitney Port

Photo via Facebook
As a student, I'm constantly exposed to the terms "networking" and "building your brand," and yes, it can get tiresome. However, I've also learned that it's so incredibly necessary and helpful, which is why everyone keeps pounding it into us—in any industry. Since everything is online these days, it's safe to say that you better have a kick-ass resume that potential bosses can easily gain access to (you know they're going to Google you anyway). LinkedIn makes that extremely simple and offers the tools to make you look as employable as possible. I attended an event this week, as part of The LinkedIn Discussion Series, hosted by LinkedIn and special guest speaker Whitney Port on how to build your professional brand.

Photo by Christina Dun

I've been an active follower of Whitney Port's along her journey from a former reality TV star to the fashion designer behind Whitney Eve, and I think she's grown so much and is such an inspiration for anyone hoping to get into the world of fashion. She spoke about the importance of building your professional brand and having what it takes to persevere in such a challenging and competitive industry. She chatted with career expert Nicole Williams and gave some awesome advice. Here's a clip:


The event itself was also very cool. It took place on the 4th floor of the Core Club and there were stations set up with information on different resources that LinkedIn has to offer. I was personally drawn into the publishing platform because I really should be putting the effort into maximizing the content I'm putting out there (I highly recommend everyone else to do the same!). They also had a make-up station and photo backdrop set up, complete with professional photographer, to help people take a brand new profile pic. Fun!


This wasn't the first of these interactive LinkedIn events. They've previously had speakers including Rachel Zoe and Petra Nemcova.

FYI (shameless plug) you can find me on LinkedIn HERE

- Christina
Follow my adventures on Twitter: @christinaaa28

No comments:

Post a Comment