Saturday, October 18, 2014

MY LIFE | NYU Journalism In New Orleans


Only a month into my program at NYU and already I've gotten to travel on a reporting trip. On October 9th, a group of 10 of us went on an adventure to New Orleans, each covering a different topic to explore. I chose to focus on the music.

It was an interesting start to the journey. I went from NYC to a connecting flight in Charlotte, NC, where we were told that the plane was having issues—so we were delayed a bit before finally making it to our hotel in NOLA.


The food – We stumbled upon Katie's Restaurant, where I tried a poboy sandwich for the first time. It was amazing! Fun fact: Katie's has been featured on the TV show 'Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives.'

I wandered around the infamous French Quarter, which was very lively, loud and drunken. See Homer below:

I also had the pleasure of seeing these talented musicians:


For my assignment, I set up an interview with a young saxophone player in City Park, which is seriously stunning:

The other part of my assignment involved taking part in a Second Line parade. Apparently not a lot of tourists get to see these. It was something I've never experienced ever before. It was craziness. Take a look into the Prince Of Wales Second Line:





Also, this. A casual lizard chilling on her head.
Dancing was EVERYWHERE:


And voila, my finished project!

Next Generation of Brass Band Street Music from Pavement Pieces on Vimeo.

You can check out my classmates' work here: http://neworleanscityonthebrink.com/

- Christina
Follow my adventures on Twitter: @christinaaa28

No comments:

Post a Comment